Princeton Architectural Press is looking for a full-time editor to start immediately in our Hudson, NY office. The applicant should have prior editorial experience, preferably in illustrated books, and some knowledge of/interest in architecture, architectural history, landscape architecture, urbanism, graphic design, photography, and visual culture.
The person hired for this position will manage up to ten book and/or gift projects per year and will have the following responsibilities:
- manage projects from conception through production, including acting as principal liaison with authors and among various in-house departments (design, production, marketing, sales, and publicity), and hiring and overseeing freelancers
- create and maintain project schedules
- work closely with all departments to maintain budgets, including submission of quote requests and completion of P&Ls
- perform developmental, content, and copyediting of manuscripts
- oversee design and manage communication with freelance designers as necessary
- review book proofs with designer during manufacturing stage
- participate in semimonthly editorial meetings to review and discuss proposal submissions and positioning of new titles
- write jacket and catalog copy
- work with publicity, sales, and marketing departments by providing materials necessary for catalog and semi-annual book launches, including writing sales and marketing copy and providing fact sheets for all titles
- supervise editorial assistants for various project tasks
- three to five years of editorial experience, preferably at a book publisher; illustrated-book publishing experience a plus
- excellent written and oral communication skills
- attention to detail
- ability to work independently, prioritize multiple projects, work accurately under pressure, and meet deadlines
- a working knowledge of Adobe CS6, Word, Excel, and the Chicago Manual of Style required.
To apply, please send a cover letter and C.V. in an email with the subject line Production Editor
to our Editorial Director, Jennifer Lippert, jennifer(at) papress (dot) com.
Princeton Architectural Press is an equal opportunity employer