Princeton Architectural Press is looking for a full-time editor to start immediately in our Hudson, NY office. The applicant should have prior editorial experience, preferably in illustrated books, and some knowledge of/interest in architecture, architectural history, landscape architecture, urbanism, graphic design, photography, and visual culture.
The person hired for this position will manage up to ten book and/or gift projects per year and will have the following responsibilities:
- manage projects from conception through production, including acting as principal liaison with authors and among various in-house departments (design, production, marketing, sales, and publicity), and hiring and overseeing freelancers
- create and maintain project schedules
- work closely with all departments to maintain budgets, including submission of quote requests and completion of P&Ls
- perform developmental, content, and copyediting of manuscripts
- oversee design and manage communication with freelance designers as necessary
- review book proofs with designer during manufacturing stage
- participate in semimonthly editorial meetings to review and discuss proposal submissions and positioning of new titles
- write jacket and catalog copy
- work with publicity, sales, and marketing departments by providing materials necessary for catalog and semi-annual book launches, including writing sales and marketing copy and providing fact sheets for all titles
- supervise editorial assistants for various project tasks
- three to five years of editorial experience, preferably at a book or magazine publisher; illustrated-book experience a plus
- excellent written and oral communication skills
- attention to detail
- ability to work independently, prioritize multiple projects, work accurately under pressure, and meet deadlines
- a working knowledge of Adobe CS6, Word, Excel, and the Chicago Manual of Style required.
To apply, please send a cover letter and C.V. in an email
to our Editorial Director, Jennifer Lippert, jennifer(at) papress (dot) com.
Princeton Architectural Press is looking for an organized, detail-oriented individual who has strong technical skills and a passion for books to work as a Production Associate. This position is a terrific learning opportunity for anyone interested in four-color book manufacturing based in our Hudson, NY office.
The production department is responsible for all aspects of frontlist and backlist printing, both offset and digital processes, file conversion for digital editions, and stationery manufacturing. The Production Associate provides administrative support to the production director.
Additional tasks include but are not limited to:
- records management, both paper and electronic
- maintain production reprint library
- track progress of work-in-process and communicate internal status updates as needed
- accurate record keeping
- pack and ship packages to vendors; follow up on deliveries with printers and couriers
Knowledge, skills & abilities required:
- BA/BS degree or equivalent
- minimum one year of experience working as an administrative assistant
- proficiency in Excel, facility with numbers and basic accounting skills
- detail oriented and highly organized
- problem solving
- technologically adept
- communicates effectively and prioritizes to meet deadlines
- works collaboratively as well as independently
- Mac background a plus
Please submit your cover letter and resume to: jobs(at)papress.com with "Production Associate" as the subject line.
Digital Prepress Coordinator
Princeton Architectural Press is looking for a multi-talented individual who has excellent Photoshop and Illustrator skills to work as a Digital Prepress Coordinator in our Hudson, NY office. The applicant should have a working knowledge of book or magazine print production. Experience with InDesign is a plus. The candidate will work closely with design and editorial to troubleshoot files and image problems and to help produce printer-ready files for books. The position requires excellent technical skills as well as artistic sensitivity to the aesthetics of the project. Candidates must have a proficient knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite 6 on the Macintosh platform.
Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- four-color retouching and image manipulation of photos and illustrations in Photoshop and Illustrator
- reviewing author art submissions, preparing tests of art and design elements, and reviewing tests and proofs. Recommending revisions to files or requesting replacement files that will eliminate or reduce anticipated print problems
- preflighting and preparing final book files to release to printer
- Work experience: 1 to 2 years
- Education: BFA or equivalent
- Reports to production director
Please submit your cover letter and resume to: jobs(at)papress.com with "Digital Prespress Coordinator" as the subject line.
Princeton Architectural Press is an equal opportunity employer, offering health and dental insurance, a 401K plan, and paid vacations.