thinking with type
letter grid tools for teachers

previous topic | next topic

TEXT TOPICS: Kerning | Tracking | Line spacing | Alignment | Stacked type | Hierarchy



Adjusting the spacing across a word, line, or column of text is called tracking, also known as letterspacing. It is common practice to letterspace capitals and small capitals, which appear more regal when standing apart. By slightly expanding the tracking across a body of text, the designer can create a more airy field. Negative tracking is rarely desirable. This device should be used sparingly, to adjust one or more lines of justified type.