Princeton Architectural Press seeks a skilled and dynamic publicist to join our team at our Hudson, NY office.
The ideal candidate has the following qualifications:
- 3+ years experience in publicity or marketing. Book publishing experience preferred
- Creative and enthusiastic in pitching books and authors
- Proven ability to generate successful publicity plans
- Motivated self-starter; ability to take initiative in shepherding projects
- Strong organizational skills; ability to multitask, prioritize, and manage time effectively while also maintaining accuracy and attention to detail.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Poise and confidence in communicating with authors and media
- Excellent media contacts
- Knowledge of CisionPoint and Microsoft Office
- Experience with InDesign and Mailchimp a plus
Knowledge, skills & abilities required:
- Plan and execute creative, successful publicity plans for 20-25 books per season in the fields of art, architecture, graphic design, photography, and visual culture. Write press releases and targeted letters to
pitch books and authors to the media, targeting both subject-area media and major, national general-interest outlets.
- Coordinate sending of review copies. Facilitate reviews, excerpts, author interviews, and features.
- Collaborate with authors on marketing and publicity plans. Work with authors on creation of book video trailers as appropriate. Work with authors on their social media presence as needed.
- Research media and build and maintain excellent relationships with media contacts. Periodically meet with key media.
- Assist in creating marketing partnerships and marketing campaigns as appropriate.
- Pitch holiday gift guides.
- Submit books for awards.
- Keep authors, in-house staff, and our distributors updated on publicity activities.
- Represent the publicity department in meetings as needed.
- Contribute to the Press's e-newsletters, blog, and social media.
- Help manage and maintain media contact lists and review database.
- Participate in acquisitions discussions.
- Work trade shows and book fairs, including BookExpo, New York Art Book Fair, etc. Attend author events and book launch parties.
How to Apply
- BA/BS degree or equivalent
- Minimum one year of experience working as an administrative assistant
- Proficiency in Excel, facility with numbers and basic accounting skills
- Detail-oriented and highly organized
- Problem solving
- Technologically adept
- Communicates effectively and prioritizes to meet deadlines
- works collaboratively as well as independently
- Mac background a plus
Please submit your cover letter, resume, and portfolio (link or PDF under 5MB) to: jobs(at)papress.com with "Publicist" in the subject line.
Princeton Architectural Press is a world leader in books on architecture, design, photography, landscape, and visual culture for the past 35 years. The Press has since added growing and dynamic programs in both children's books and Paper + Goods (stationery and gift). Featuring a backlist of nearly 1,000 titles, the company’s books are acclaimed for their strong and unique, sometimes quirky, editorial vision, unrivaled design sensibility, and high production values.
Although we have no full-time job openings at the moment, we do have occasional internship openings in our editorial and design departments for students throughout the year, especially in the summer.
To apply for one of theses position please send via email a cover letter and your current CV to:
firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the following in the subject line of your email: Internship Applicant
Freelance Editorial Pool
Princeton Architectural Press is always on the lookout for freelance copyeditors and proofreaders with experience in architecture, architecture history, landscape architecture, and urbanism. We are also looking for freelance copyeditors and proofreaders with experience in graphic design.
Preference will be given to those who have taken continuing education classes in copyediting or proofreading or who have a degree in English, and those who have a working knowledge of our titles. It is also helpful if you are located close to New York City (within one day's range for Ground UPS).
To apply to our freelance editorial pool please send the following:
- A cover letter explaining:
- your editing style
- which types of manuscripts you feel you are suited for (i.e. monographs, campus guides, classic reprints, construction & reference, general architecture, guide books, landscape architecture, urbanisim, architecture writing & theory, art & photography, book arts, graphic & industrial design, typography, and visual culture)
- potential pricing structure
- turnaround times
- the titles of any previous books you have worked on
- Your current CV
to our Editorial Director, Jennifer Thompson, jennifer(at) papress (dot) com.
Princeton Architectural Press is an equal opportunity employer.